See the pros and cons of both optical options
When your vision prescription changes, you’ll need new eyeglasses lenses. Most patients are excited to choose a new pair of designer frames from our trending optical collections in Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach, California. However, some customers question whether they can just fit new lenses into their old frames. What’s the bottom line?
In general, it’s best to buy new frames, because using old frames can lead to a range of problems. Here’s a rundown of the reasons we don’t usually recommend fitting new lenses into old frames:
Pros of buying new designer frames
- Old frames must be heated to take out the old lenses, and then they are reheated to insert the new lenses. This process ages the frames and increases their risk of cracking, splitting, or breaking.
- You won’t ever be without a pair of glasses while you send your old frames for refitting
- Most optical stores offer a deal when you buy a new frame at the same time as your new lenses
- You can leave your old frames as a spare pair
- Buying new designer frames reduces the chances of frame breakage after a few months
- It’s much easier to adjust new frames when they bend out of shape or feel uncomfortable on your face
- If any eyeglass parts break, it’s much easier to find replacement parts for new designer frames
- You get to update your style
Cons of buying new frames
- It can be more costly
- If you’re attached to the look of your old frames, you’ll need to adjust to your new appearance
Still not sure what to do? Let us look at your old frames!
If you feel very strongly about using your old frames and reglazing them with a new pair of lenses, please let us look at them to help you make the final decision. Our optical staff will assess the old frames for any corrosion, dry or brittle parts, or loose hinges or screws. We’ll also check to see if your old frames are still in production, so we can order replacement parts if something breaks while putting in the new lenses. Bring your old frames to our optical stores in Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach, California, and we’ll be happy to take a look, as well as show you new options from our high quality selection of designer frames!
At Advanced Eyecare Center, we put your family’s needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 310-620-1345 or book an appointment online to see one of our Manhattan Beach eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!