If eye drops or other common remedies haven’t provided you with lasting relief from painful dry eye symptoms, it’s time to consider changing your dry eye treatment. BlephEx and LipiFlow are both dry eye devices that work to alleviate discomfort for the long-term, but they each work differently; therefore, the patient experience is not the same. Here’s a walk-through of what to expect when you visit our dry eye clinics in Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach for Lipiflow or Blephex.
BlephEx – Step by Step
BlephEx is a pain-free procedure that exfoliates your eyelids, removing debris from the edge of your eyelashes and bringing immediate relief from uncomfortable symptoms.
- When you arrive at our Manhattan Beach or Redondo Beach eye care clinic for BlephEx, the first thing we’ll do is insert numbing eye drops.
- Our eye doctor will apply the handheld device to your lash lines. The dry eye device consists of a moistened medical-grade sponge that rotates at high speeds to gently remove bacteria and debris, opening the Meibomian glands.
- Most patients feel a tickling sensation during the procedure. It’s painless because the BlephEx tool is calibrated to prevent excessive force when making contact with your eyelid.
- The procedure takes about 6 to 8 minutes total, and we usually recommend patients return every 4 – 6 months for follow-up treatments.
- You’ll be provided with instructions on how to maintain clean eyelids at home.
LipiFlow – Step by Step
The LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation System by TearScience is a revolutionary technology that has soothed the painful dry eye symptoms of many patients. Many of our patients have expressed how this dry eye device gave them real and lasting relief for the first time after years of suffering from the symptoms of meibomian gland dysfunction.
- Our eye doctor will use the LipiScan imaging device to assess your Meibomian glands and make a diagnosis. If you have Meibomian gland dysfunction, we’ll begin the LipiFlow treatment.
- Numbing eye drops will be inserted into your eyes, so the procedure won’t cause discomfort.
- The LipiFlow activators, which are single-use, sterile and dome-shaped, are placed on your eyes. These pieces are shaped to vault over your eyes, protecting your cornea during the treatment.
- The activators use Vector Thermal Pulsation technology to transmit heat into the Meibomian glands inside your eyelids. A combination of gentle pressure and heat massages any blocked glands in order to liquefy and clear the obstructions.
- The non-invasive procedure takes about 12 minutes and causes minimal discomfort, if any.
- Many patients feel a difference immediately, and full results from LipiFlow are generally experienced over six to eight weeks.
We will evaluate your condition comprehensively to make our expert recommendation as to whether BlephEx or LipiFlow is right for you. At present, neither of these innovative dry eye devices are covered by insurance. Please reach out to our eye care staff in Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach to discuss the costs and financing options.
At Advanced Eyecare Center, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 310-620-1345 or book an appointment online to see one of our Manhattan Beach eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!